Castlemaine Circus Inc. is an inclusive and accessible circus arts program offering classes across gymnastics-based tumbling, acrobalance, conditioning, aerial, circus arts and performance creation, for ages 3 years to adult.
Castlemaine Circus Inc. aims to:
- offer children, youth and adults training in circus skills and physical theatre.
- create a safe and positive environment for young people to participate in performing arts activities.
- promote healthy, physical, non-competitive activity.
- encourage creativity and innovation.
- provide employment opportunities for local professional circus artists.
- partner with other community organisations to provide training and performance opportunities for broad and diverse community participation.
Castlemaine Circus was established in 2013 as a direct response to ongoing requests from the community for childrens’ circus classes. Established as a not-for-profit incorporated association, by a committee of volunteers (now the organisation’s first staff), Castlemaine Circus Inc. now engages 12 experienced local trainers from Clunes, Daylesford and Castlemaine. (See Trainers’ Page here).
Castlemaine Circus classes began in February 2014 with three classes per week. The circus has been a resounding success and now has twelve classes per week with over 100 children attending. There are two weekly classes for each age group: from preschoolers right through to youth classes.
Castlemaine Circus will continue to grow to meet the needs of the community with planned families’ classes, and classes that target young people with learning difficulties and young people identified as at risk.
It takes a community to make a circus, and it couldn’t have happened without the support of our start up funding partners, the outstanding generosity of families, and the ongoing efforts of our passionate operations team.
Enjoy and Best Wishes,
Kirsty Sutherland, Operations Manager and Classes Coordinator
Mandy Field, Creative and Community Producer